A Charleston Affair Ticket Holder Instructions
Please use the A Charleston Affair map to plan your approach to enter at the Calhoun Street gate to Cougar Mall. Parking is limited around campus, so we encourage you to leave the driving to Uber, Lyft, or a pedi-cab. New Uber users who sign up through the Alumni Association receive up to $20 off their first ride and Uber will donate $2 to our scholarship fund. Visit our CofC Alumni Uber page to set up your free account and download the app to your phone. Share this link with friends and family—it is good anywhere in the United States.
Your printable ticket(s) was sent via email from “email@example.com.” All guests must provide a ticket and a valid, government-issued photo ID. Please print out your ticket(s) to speed up check-in. See the A Charleston Affair map for entrances.
Class of 2017 Check-In
Check-in for all members of the Class of 2017 and their guests (including those using General Admission tickets) begins at 7 pm at the Calhoun Street Gate to Cougar Mall.
Important: “Class of 2017” discount tickets are non-transferable and will not be honored unless the guest’s valid, government-issued photo ID matches the name on the ticket. In other words, these tickets cannot be re-sold or given to anyone else to use.
Upon entry, graduating students will be given a special “CofC 2017” pin to wear so alumni can recognize and congratulate you throughout the night. You never know who you might meet who can help you in the future!
Alumni General Admission Check-In
Check-in for alumni General Admission begins at 7 pm at two locations: at Coming Street and Green Way and St. Philip Street and Green Way.
All Access, Randolph Hall, Towell Library, and Craig Reunions VIP Check-In
Check-in for All Access, Randolph Hall, Towell Library, and Reunions at Craig VIP admission begins at 6:30 pm at the St. Philip Street gate to Cistern Yard. Upon entering, please report to your designated VIP area to pick up your name badge(s) which will provide you with VIP access throughout the evening. All Access badges will be at Randolph Hall.
Honors College VIP Check-In
Check-in for Honors College VIP admission begins at 6:30 pm at 6 Glebe Street, The President’s House, to pick up your name badge(s) which will provide you access to the President’s House and A Charleston Affair throughout the evening.
Some NEW Traditions:
- Enter the shag contest at A Charleston Affair from 7:30-8 pm on the Cistern Yard dance floor and set yourself up to enjoy next year’s event in style:
- Grand Prize: Two VIP “All Access” tickets to A Charleston Affair on May 5, 2018, and a two-night stay in the fabulous Charleston Loft at The Dewberry May 4-6, 2018, valet parking included ($1,500+ value).
- 1st Prize: Two VIP All Access tickets to A Charleston Affair on May 5, 2018 ($600 value).
- 2nd Prize: Two Randolph Hall VIP tickets to A Charleston Affair on May 5, 2018 ($500 value).
- 3rd Prize: Two Towell Library VIP tickets to A Charleston Affair on May 5, 2018 ($400 value).
Our band, Fantasy, will play beach music from 7 until 8 pm, so wear your dancing shoes and bring your best partner to dance under the Cistern oaks. The Charleston Shag Club will provide live demonstrations, free lessons, and will judge the shag contest.
- If beach music isn’t your jam, head back to Cougar Mall where DJ Y-Not will perform until 8:30 pm.
- At 8 pm, members of the Class of 2017 are asked to gather in Cistern Yard on the brick path that runs from Porter’s Lodge to the stage so President Glenn McConnell ’69 can offer a toast to your success and we’ll all sing the alma mater. A little rusty perhaps? Here’s a sing-along video to help you brush up. The lyrics will be printed on the cocktail napkins, just in case.
- Stroll down Glebe Street to try alumni craft beers in our new Biergarten or taste fine wines in our Champagne & Wine Court, hosted by sommelier Danny Baker ’94 of Advintage Distributing.
- Have your photo made with Clyde on Cougar Mall until 7:45 pm and outside the Pi Kappa Phi Gate on College Way after 8 pm.
- Our all new AV and lighting design are provided by alumni-owned Production Design Associates, so please wander and enjoy. PDA is a Platinum Sponsor of the Alumni Association for 2017.
- Wear your dancing shoes! Comfortable footwear is essential and high heels are discouraged. Remember all those bricks and tree roots? They are even harder to negotiate in the dark.
- A Charleston Affair will be held rain or shine, no refunds.
- The College of Charleston is a smoke-free/tobacco-free/drug-free campus.
- Once you leave the event, there is no re-entry.
So, if you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers. And if we don’t address your query below, please contact us.
Where should I stay?
If you are traveling in from out of town, then check out the sponsor hotels to book your reservation.
How can I purchase tickets?
Alumni will receive an email in March with a custom access code to purchase their tickets. Proceeds from Spring Alumni Weekend events will benefit Alumni Association programs and scholarships. Early bird pricing ends April 6, so register now and save!
As a member of the Class of 2017, how may I purchase tickets to A Charleston Affair?
As a member of the Class of 2017, you will receive an email on Wednesday morning, March 1, with instructions for how to purchase one “Class of 2017” ticket at $60 (regular price $100) for your personal use. You must make this purchase on Wednesday or Thursday, March 1-2. Reduced price “Class of 2017” tickets will not be available after Thursday, March 2.
Your “Class of 2017” ticket is non-transferable and will not be honored unless your valid, government-issued photo ID matches your name on the ticket. In other words, you can’t re-sell it or give it to someone else—it may only be used by you.
If you would like to bring a guest (age 21 or older), regular price ticket sales will open the following week and you will receive another email with a special code and instructions for purchasing one regular price ticket. Regular price tickets are transferable.
Will tickets be sold at the door?
Ticket sales will end when events are sold out or on Friday, April 28, whichever comes first. No tickets will be sold at the door. There are a limited number of tickets available to each event, so act fast!
What is the refund policy?
All Spring Alumni Weekend ticket sales are final and are not refundable. Ticketed events will take place rain or shine.
Can I purchase tickets from a third party?
We discourage guests from purchasing tickets from third parties, such as Craigslist and Facebook. Evenings have been ruined over ticket fraud at A Charleston Affair. If you don’t personally know—and trust—the person selling you the ticket, please don’t buy it. Please see the ticket policy that prohibits reselling Class of 2017 tickets.
What do I need to bring to events to check in?
All guests must bring a valid, government-issued photo ID to be checked upon entry. Guests are asked to bring printed tickets to speed up the scanning process.
May I leave an event and re-enter?
No, if a guest departs the event, re-entry is not permitted.
Is tobacco or smoking allowed on campus?
No, the College of Charleston campus and all Alumni Weekend events are drug, tobacco, and smoke free. This includes cigars, vaping, etc.
Will parking be available near the event?
As always, limited parking will be available near campus. City of Charleston parking garages will be available. We recommend that you walk, Uber, or taxi to the event. First-time Uber users receive $20 off their first ride and Uber will donate $2 to the Alumni Association Scholarship fund, when you sign up with promotion code COFCALUMNI. Share with friends and family!
What if it rains?
Ticketed events will take place rain or shine. In case of an emergency, we will update you.
What is the attire?
Appropriate attire and shoes are required for all events. For the Career Center Cinco de Mayo networking reception, think business casual. For the Champagne Brunch, think “nice restaurant.” For A Charleston Affair, think “garden party.” All events are held outdoors on a variety of surfaces (remember all those bricks and tree roots?), so avoid wearing uncomfortable shoes or heels.
What’s on the menu?
The menu is traditional, southern-inspired cuisine, including vegetarian and vegan options. Check out the menu for this year’s event! (link to menu page)
What time should I arrive for A Charleston Affair?
All Access, Class Reunion, Randolph Hall, and Towell Library VIP guests may enter at 6:30 pm at the St. Philip Street Gate to Cistern Yard.
Honors College VIP guests may enter at 6:30 pm at the President’s House at 6 Glebe Street.
General Admission guests may enter at 7:00 pm at of Coming Street Gate at Green Way – OR – at the St. Philip Street Gate at Green Way. Green Way is the pedestrian street that runs behind Randolph Hall, by the fountain.
Class of 2017 ticket holders and their guests may enter at 7:00 pm at the Class of 2017 gate at Calhoun Street and Cougar Mall.
Is there a social media hashtag we should use?
#CharlestonAffair can be used on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Use #CharlestonAffair for everything; outfit options, dancing up a storm, running into that friend you haven’t seen in forever – post it all!
Like us on Facebook
Follow @CofCAlumni on Twitter
Follow @CofCAlumni on Instagram
Will there be a professional photographer?
Yes, CofC alumnus Clifford Pate and his team will be on hand for candid shots as well as Step-and-Repeat photos with Clyde. You can view and purchase all photos through Clifford Pate Photography after the event.
843-953-5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org